People often use carpets on their floors and why wouldn’t they. Carpets look great on the floor. They are great until you get them dirty. Yes, it is very easy to get them dirty. But, it is not so when it comes to cleaning them. However, there are some easy ways that you can use to clean a carpet.
If you have kids at your place, you will find the carpets at your place getting dirty more often. Also, when guests arrive, you can ask them to remove their shoes before stepping on them. This just doesn’t look good. But, if they bring shoes on the carpet, it will get dirty. This is because of the dust that they carry with their shoes. Carpets have a lot of pours in them that hold dust, and this makes them look dirty. However, this is not a big problem. Even if the carpet is full of dirt, you can simply dust it off. This is as simple as that. But, the problem arises when there is a stain on it. If some kid or a guest spills juice on the carpet, you can dust it off.
Well, you can clean it with a machine. But, if you don’t have a machine or don’t want to use it and don’t even want to get it dry cleaned, there are still some ways to clean the stained carpet. Let’s have a look at some DIY methods of cleaning a carpet.
How to Clean a Carpet Without a Vacuum or Steam Machine?
Use Baking Soda
This is a common method, and a lot of people use it to clean the carpets at their homes. It is very easy to clean a carpet with baking soda. Also, it doesn’t need much effort. But, you will need to invest some time in it. This is nothing in return for the money that you will save on dry cleaning. Let’s have a look at the process.
- Baking soda
- Old brush
- Before doing anything else, you would need to dust the carpet in a dry state. Don’t apply anything unless you are sure it is dirt free. If you use water in a dirty state, the dirt will stick to it, and it would be harder to get it off. Once you are sure, it is not dirty anymore, move to the next step.
- Find the area where the stain is and sprinkle some baking soda all over the stain. Make sure it completely covers the stain.
- After sprinkling the baking soda over it, dip a brush or towel in warm water and gently swoosh it over the applied area. Do it until you see some bubbles. But, make sure you don’t overdo it. This is important because overdoing it will damage the carpet. Also, do it gently. Make sure you don’t completely wet it.
- Once it is done, the stain will be gone. But, the process is not complete yet.
- After cleaning the stain, keep the carpet under the fan and let it dry there. But, make sure you don’t keep it in direct sunlight for long because its color will fade if you keep it there for long.
- Lastly, dust the carpet again, and you are good to go.
How to clean carpet without a machine? Well, this is all it takes to clean a carpet with baking soda. Let’s have a look at some more DIY methods of cleaning carpets.
How to Clean a Carpet with Vinegar?
Vinegar is a good stain remover, and a lot of people use this trick to remove stains from their clothes. It works in the same way for carpets as well. Let’s have a look at the process. But, first, let’s see what things we require for this method.
To remove stain from a carpet with vinegar, the first step is the same as mentioned above. Dust the carpet in the dry state first. Once it is free of dirt, find the stained spot. But, before moving any further, you would need to make a mixture of vinegar and lukewarm water. You would need one part vinegar and two parts lukewarm water. Once the mixture is made, put it in a spray bottle.
Spray the mixture on the stained area. Wait for some time and let it stay on the stain. After a few minutes, take a clean towel or brush and start wiping the stained area. Once you start doing it, you will see the stain coming off. Keep doing it until the stain vanishes completely.
This is all it takes to remove a stain with vinegar. Also, it won’t take much time or effort. But, make sure that you let the carpet dry under the fan after doing it.
Well, this is how to clean a carpet yourself. This is no rocket science. How to clean carpet without a machine, it just requires some basic things that you will easily find at your home. Also, you won’t need to bring anything expensive. If you don’t have something from the requirements list, you can buy it in the market.
Benefits of Cleaning Carpet at Home
There are several benefits of cleaning a carpet at home. To begin with, you won’t need to spend any money on it. You will find all the required things at home only. Other than this, you will save up on dry cleaning costs. You will also save a lot of time. It takes time to bring the carpet to the dry cleaner’s. But, if you choose to do it at home, you can do it at any time you feel free. No matter which method you choose, make sure you do it right. If you overdo anything, it may damage the carpet, and you would end up spending more money on a new one.
Apart from this, you should try to prevent the carpets at your home from getting a stain in the first place. You should make sure they don’t get dirty. The best way to do so is to avoid eating anything near them that could leave a stain. Also, you should try to keep your pets away from them. If you take good care of a carpet, it will serve you for years.